Corporate - Senior Environmental Geochemist (Vancouver)
B2Gold is a low-cost international senior gold producer headquartered in Vancouver, Canada. Founded in 2007, today, B2Gold has three operating gold mines and numerous development and exploration projects in various countries including Mali, the Philippines, Namibia, Canada, Colombia, Finland and Uzbekistan. This year, B2Gold forecasts gold production to be 1,000,000 – 1,080,000 ounces.
Senior Environmental Geochemist
Reporting to the Environmental and Permitting Manager and supporting the corporate Sustainability team, this position leverages their practical experience in the design and implementation of geochemical characterization studies to support environmental approvals, operational support rehabilitation and closure studies, as well as mentoring operational field staff. The individual will have to have solid technical background and practical experience and need to be a proactive self-starter that works well independently under minimum supervision but also collaboratively in a team environment.
This is a full-time position based at B2Gold Corporate Office in Vancouver, Canada with a flexible work arrangement option available.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the design and implementation of environmental geochemical characterization studies of mine materials (including tailings, waste rock, construction and borrow/cut materials) at each operation to support feasibility studies, environmental approvals, operational technical support, rehabilitation and closure;
- Engage with site management and specialist geochemical consulting services, in the development of scopes of work, schedules and budgets and management and administration of such work;
- Ensure the geochemical risks of project facilities have been appropriately assessed and mitigating measures appropriately implemented in a practical and cost-effective manner;
- Assist operations with managing static and kinetic geochemical laboratory programs, and processing and interpreting laboratory data;
- Ensure Mine Closure Plans include comprehensive assessment of geochemical risks and provide sufficiently practical mitigating measures;
- Analysis of large geochemical datasets, including quality control, data interpretation and reporting, and critical assessment of consultant reports and recommendations;
- Develop practical mineral waste and AMD management plans and management solutions for each operation;
- Perform geochemical modelling to support data interpretation and predict geochemical outcomes;
- Assist with mine groundwater and surface water quality assessments, and other environmental geochemical-related investigations;
- Conduct environmental fieldwork and be involved in the collection of rock, soil and water samples;
- Produce high quality technical reports, presentations, etc., which effectively communicate detailed geochemical information to management, including non-specialists;
- Provide oversight and guidance to corporate and operational employees in functions related to geochemical studies;
- Research and communicate key emerging information and trends relating to global mine materials geochemical management practices, as needed; and
- Perform other duties as required in support of Company objectives.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in relevant field of study, such as Geology, Geochemistry or related subjects;
- Minimum seven years of working experience in geochemical characterization of mine wastes, mineral waste management and water quality assessments;
- Field work experience including drilling supervision and geological logging, test pit logging and sampling (soils, water, geological samples);
- Experience in the design and implementation of field and laboratory investigations to support geochemical assessments.
- Experience in managing static and kinetic geochemical laboratory programs, and processing and interpreting laboratory data;
- Willingness to travel for project work (domestic/international and possibly to remote locations);
- Experience using geochemical modeling software packages such as PHREEQC, MINTEQ and Geochemist`s Workbench;
- Proficiency in Microsoft office applications including Word and PowerPoint, with specific expertise in the use of Microsoft Excel;
- Proven ability to work independently and generate, implement and complete multiple work assignments in a dynamic environment;
- Previous experience of geological 3D modelling software (Leapfrog, Vulcan) or dynamic probabilistic software (GoldSim);
- Proficiency with ArcGIS;
- Relevant professional registrations or memberships;
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of commitment to meeting deadlines and producing high quality work;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Language fluency in English including the ability to prepare high quality technical reports and deliver public presentations;
- Ability to be proactive, professional and thrive in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
Additional Desired Qualifications
- French language ability considered an asset.
Job Demands/Physical Requirements
- This position is based out of our Vancouver head office on a full-time basis with frequent domestic and international travels required (~ 30% of the time) which may be in short notice.
B2Gold prioritizes local employment, supports empowerment initiatives and continuously works towards a people profile that matches the demographics of the respective national settings in which we operate, while appreciating our inclusive culture that attracts talent from around the world. As an equal opportunity employer, B2Gold values diversity and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
B2Gold offers a competitive compensation package, including base salary commensurate with the candidate’s experience, knowledge and skill set, and a comprehensive benefit package for employees and their eligible dependents. The base salary range for this position is CAD $145,000 – 175,000 per annum, which is the anticipated pay at the time of hire but does not reflect similar future job opportunities. Details of the total compensation package will be shared during the interview process.
We thank all applicants for their interest in B2Gold Corp.; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.